We are dedicated scientists, researchers, biotechnologists, physicians, and businesspeople working together toward one goal: minimize the burden of cancers and infections by helping the body heal itself through the power of science.
The work we do at Agenus is cutting edge and deeply motivating. We believe passionately in our technology, in our pipeline, and in our responsibility to deliver on the promise of immunology to treat cancer and infectious disease. If you’re looking for an inspired environment, passionate colleagues, and a culture that nurtures learning, innovation and team success, we invite you to join us.
To learn more about current openings, please contact our Human Resources department.
QC Senior Analyst - Analytical (842)
- Conducts routine and non-routine analysis of in-process, drug product, raw materials, and stability samples according to standard operating procedures in a GMP environment
- Compiles data for documentation of test procedures and prepares reports
- Calibrates and maintains laboratory equipment. Participates in Quality Systems including but limited to investigations, summaries and reports
- Reviews data obtained for compliance to specifications and reports anomalies
- Revises and updates standard operating procedures as needed
- Additional functions include assay qualification and qualification of new equipment
- May perform special projects on analytical and instrument problem solving
Education and other necessary skills:
- Analytical testing of in process, development, stability, raw materials and final product samples.
- Performance of testing in accordance with standard operation procedures
- Perform job function in accordance with the Agenus Quality Policy and Manual, as appropriate
Work in compliance with cGMP’s Required Tasks:
- Testing included but not limited to HPLC, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, Bradford, ELISA and wet chemistry methods
- Support the execution of approved protocols for the validation of analytical instruments and test methods
- Revision and development of standard operating procedures, as needed
- General laboratory support, including but not limited to, sample receipt, inventory control, reagent preparation and equipment and instrument maintenance
- Monitoring of temperature controlled units using monitoring system
- Peer training and data review
Specific skills relevant to the job:
- Individual must be flexible, work well in a team environment and possess developed organizational skills
- Proficient with Empower, Softmax Pro software and other laboratory software preferred
- Proficient in MS Office
- Prior knowledge of cGMPs
- Technical writing ability
Education Necessary: BS/MS or equivalent degree with 5+ years of relevant GMP work experience
Lab & EHS Assistant (857)
- Enter order requisitions for scientific staff Maintenance of a centralized inventory of common lab items (a detailed list of commonly used items will be maintained with weekly ordering)
- Responsible for washing, autoclaving and depyrogenation of glassware and laboratory components Responsible for clean glass and dirty glass lab
- Responsible for stocking glassware and lab component Maintain chemical bar code system (receiving in, adding bar code and removing empty bottles from the inventory before disposal)
- Work with EHS Manager to ensure proper PPE and spot inspections are performed
- Responsible for biohazard waste pick-up
- Responsible for chemical waste transport to central accumulation room Monthly safety inspections (eye washes, showers, fire extinguishers and AED) Monthly inspection and restocking of First Aid Kits Monthly inspections of -80 freezers
- Promote good housekeeping (assist scientific staff)
- Maintains a clean and efficient work area. Internal deliveries (dock – labs)
Education and other necessary skills:
- Must have computer knowledge: excel and word Full time but will consider part time
- Flexible hours an option
Facility Technician (858)
- Work with all departments to ensure efficient Facility operations
- Ensure all systems operate effectively and efficiently with minimum down time and impact to the facility
- Provide support to the EHS team and coordination of the EHS policies and procedures
- Maintain day to day Facility operations
- Provide support in the areas pertaining to internal vendor services (cleaning, security, HVAC, fire systems, etc)
- Facility Maintenance – Working knowledge of the Facility work order system
- Provide support to maintain all equipment logs pertaining to manufacturing and cGMP operations
- Provide support to ensure Company compliance with all permits, licensure, Federal, State and Local safety regulations
- Provide support to maintain security systems and procedures. (card access, alarms, cctv etc).
- Support the construction activities of in-house projects
- Work with property manager on landlord related issues
- Responsible for operation, maintenance and repair of all facilities equipment and systems in a CGMP compliant manner
- Support service calls and in-house repairs throughout facility and grounds
- Able to understand maintenance trades including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.
- Perform routine repair and installation of facility systems and equipment
- Perform routine inspections of premises to help determine maintenance and repair work necessary
- Perform daily checks on all utility systems
- Follow SOP’s, and other required documentation relative to facilities equipment and / or systems
- Able to maintain detailed accurate records and prepare necessary reports
- Available for afterhours ‘on call’ duty
- Provide necessary support for all employee requests
- Provide necessary support for ordering, stocking and maintaining cafeteria
- Provide necessary support for maintaining Company vehicles
Education and other necessary skills:
- Requires experience in the maintenance trades (formal apprenticeship or on the job training), working knowledge of shop math
- Understanding of local, state and federal permitting/licensing processes Experience with cGMP requirements
- Certifications/Licenses: 2nd Class Fireman’s License or above preferable
- 2-4 years of related experience
Development Team Leader (864)
- Creating and executing a clear, integrated clinical development strategy for immunotherapy that will ultimately lead to regulatory approvals
- Identifying, developing and implementing immuno-oncology asset and immuno-oncology combination regimens that have a strong mechanistic rationale, the potential to substantially improve upon the current standard of care, and support an aggressive clinical development plan
- Leading collaborations with world experts (including other companies where appropriate) in the field of immuno-oncology to ensure optimization of the immunotherapy strategy and pipeline
- Responsible for coordinating a cross functional Team(s) comprised of colleagues from Clinical Development, Medical Affairs, Translational Oncology, Statistics, Clinical Pharmacology, Regulatory, Safety, Project Management, Operations, Commercial Development, and Finance and other functions as determined by the needs of the team
- Coordinate with the Translational Oncology Lead on the Asset Team in the thoughtful integration of biomarker and companion diagnostic studies into the clinical development strategy for each asset
- Ensures that the project is managed appropriately per budget
- Accountable for ensuring that the necessary resources are applied to the project team to support its success
- Promotes a culture of innovation within the cross-functional team(s) in order to bring forward creative development plans that maximize the potential of each asset
- May act as point of contact and project representative to governance and other decision-making bodies, including information dissemination and the resolution of critical project issues
- Leverages line expertise to achieve the team goals
- Able to engage with Business Development and contribute to efforts to optimize pre and post-PoC immuno oncology portfolio though in-licensing, out-licensing, co-sponsorship, and other collaborative efforts
- Creates a motivated, committed and engaged project team
- Models and expects effective team behavior to achieve the project goals
- Manages key interdivisional interfaces on project issues including but not limited to research, regulatory affairs, development, commercial, medical affairs, manufacturing and operations.
Education and other necessary skills:
- MD Training Preferred: Proven ability to function effectively across a complex matrix organization with multiple stakeholders and constituents Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical, academic and/or medical research environments having successfully executed a major component of a development program.
- Significant Phase 1-3 clinical research experience with strong understanding of the elements of drug development programs and experience in their design and execution
- An organized, independent, self-motivated individual with exceptional presentation, written, and oral communication skills Able to tailor presentations to the knowledge level of the audience to suit their needs and maximize understanding of the topic
Executive Assistant, Finance & Investor Relations (850)
- Manage calendars; schedules meetings, makes travel arrangements when needed, manage expense reports for Executive and others
- Accountable for meeting planning and organization (schedule attendees, books conference rooms, arranges for catering, prepares presentations, compiles notebooks, meeting materials, handouts, etc.)
- Provides phone support; assumes responsibility for copying, faxing etc.
- Creates and distributes general correspondence, letters, memos, charts, graphs, contracts, agreements, minutes, spreadsheets reports, and assists in presentation building
- Proactively responds to questions, concerns, and requests for information and resolves routine questions and information requests
- Manages the administrative priorities of senior executives, solves conflicting priorities
- Ad hoc projects, as assigned, including involvement in Board meetings
- Works on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
Education and other necessary skills:
- Must have bachelor’s degree; scientific discipline preferred
- Must have strong scientific acumen
- Must have experience supporting senior level management in R&D; 5+ years preferred
- Extensive and advanced working knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Strong interpersonal skills; position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy
- Must be able to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization up to and including Board level
- Confident, self-starter who can work well with minimum supervision
- Requires strong attention to detail in composing and proofing materials, establishing priorities, scheduling and meeting deadlines
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment with demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple competing tasks and demands
- Must be flexible in handling multiple tasks of a different nature and have the ability to prioritize efficiently
- Problem solver who is quick to figure solutions and make things happen
- Must be able to handle confidential information and issues effectively and without breach of confidentiality
Sr. Scientist, Cell Culture & Process Development (814)
This position will be responsible for cell culture and upstream process development for multiple monoclonal antibody products intended for preclinical and Phase I clinical studies. Responsibilities will include development of high performance cell culture process from stable pool or selected research cell bank (RCB) of engineered CHO cells in shake flasks and bench-top bioreactors; generation of high titer monoclonal antibodies secreted culture media harvest; purification of multi-gram quantity of mAb for preclinical studies and reference materials; participation in preclinical to Phase I process and product comparability studies; support of CMC process control with project teams and CMO’s.
- PhD with a minimum of 5 years of experience developing mammalian cell culture process development for protein preferably monoclonal antibody expression;
- Experiences in cell culture process scale up, scale down, characterization and transfer are required;
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, bioreactor operation, timely delivery of multi-gram quantity of mAb for preclinical studies and reference material use;
- Understanding data acquisition and process control, and data management is also required, experience in a cGMP production environment is a plus;
- Other requirements include knowledge and experience in statistics and DOE, interpersonal and organizational skills, oral and written communication skills, ability of multi-tasking effectively and operate both independently and in team settings
Scientist/Senior Scientist, Vaccine Research (835)
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist/Senior Scientist to join the Vaccine Research group (Cancer Immunology) at Agenus. A strong background in molecular immunology and/or cancer immunology, as evidenced by peer reviewed publications is required for this position. The successful candidate will be responsible for evaluation of autologous tumor derived and synthetic peptide based cancer vaccine candidates in animal models as stand-alone therapeutics and in combination with other immune modulating agents. Successful interaction with Agenus’ bioinformatics team to leverage next generation sequencing information for cancer vaccine design will be critical. Evaluation of the company’s existing adjuvants and exploration of other novel adjuvants will be an important component of this research. He/she will be expected to work independently, and to design, execute and interpret experiments in the collaborative global research environment at Agenus. He/she would be tasked with developing this research into novel therapeutic hypotheses, with an expectation that novel findings will be published in impactful journals.
- Design and execute research plans to discover and validate novel therapeutic concepts in the areas of cancer immunotherapy
- Contribute in the development and implementation of the cancer immunology research strategy at Agenus
- Evaluate immune readouts (PD endpoints) that can be incorporated in an early clinical development setting
- Represent Agenus as the scientific lead for research projects internally, and with external partners
- Provide input on IND/NDA/BLA preparation activities.
- Set up collaborations with academic partners and interface with study investigators, scientific and corporate partners
- Facilitate productive research interactions across groups at Agenus
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (interpersonal and in group forums)
- Mentor and lead research associates, scientists and postdoctoral fellows, as required
A PhD or PhD/MD and post-doctoral training in molecular immunology, molecular oncology or cancer immunology is required. A minimum of 3-5 years of research experience with demonstrated academic/industry achievement, as evidenced by publications in high impact journals, is required. Experience with murine tumor models including vaccine based prevention and treatment protocols as well as immune monitoring assays are required skills. Candidates should have excellent communication skills, be able to distill complex ideas and articulate innovative solutions, and be dedicated to translating basic translational research insights into impactful human therapies.
Project Manager - Early Development (840)
Agenus is devoted to deliver high quality innovative medicines for patients with cancer. We are focused on immuno-oncology and driven to discover, develop and commercialize effective immunotherapeutics and collaborate with partners and leading institutions to realize the full potential of cutting-edge cancer immunotherapies.
We are seeking a highly motivated and strategic Project Manager of Early Phase Development to support the advancement of our checkpoint antibody candidates to IND. We are looking for an industry-experienced PM with the ability to facilitate local and cross-functional activities, apply procedural solutions to operations, and execute on project related decisions.
- Drive CPM development candidates from lead development candidates through IND enabling programs to early phase programs and identify optimal resource allocation of development project resources
- Provide accurate, traceable, up-to-date and consistent data as basis decision-making and planning, and transparency on portfolio risks, inter-dependencies, inconsistencies and need for alignment
- Consult on harmonization of data sources, standardization of study designs, development project management and financial reporting tools
- Engage multi-disciplinary and cross-functional project teams to constantly improve the ability of the organization to deliver on development commitments
- Manage key stakeholders to increase alignment to strategic priorities
- Ensure consistent communication of portfolio decisions and compliance to them, and ensure transparency on technology and product road-maps and their alignment with RPD strategy
- MS/PhD preferred
- 3-5 years of professional experience, including project management, strategy development, budget development, and vendor management
- Advanced degree in life sciences (MSc/PhD preferred) or related technical discipline paired with a practical business background
- Knowledge of antibody-drug development
- Solid organization and project management skills, ability to think strategically and systematically, analyze complex business issues and opportunities, and utilize sound judgment in deriving conclusions to establish the appropriate objectives and direction
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully perform in a complex global matrix environment, excellent stakeholder management skills, proven track record of consensus building and conflict management in challenging situations
- Strong leadership skills in cross-functional teams with and without direct reporting lines; demonstrated ability to achieve results
- Experience in multiple external partnerships in early development and good understanding of research and laboratory operations
- Proven ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Broad knowledge of research and biological testing, principles, concepts, methods, best practices
- Broad knowledge of pre-clinical in-vitro assays
- Extremely strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and ability to achieve results through other managers and people
- Extremely strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
Quality Control Analyst/Senior Analyst (Bio-Assay) (836)
Conducts routine and non-routine cell-based immunoassay of stability samples and in-process and finished formulations according to standard operating procedures. Compiles data for documentation of test procedures and prepares reports. Calibrates and maintains laboratory equipment. Participates in the preparation of investigations, summaries and reports. Reviews data obtained for compliance to procedures, specifications and reports abnormalities. Revises and updates standard operating procedures as needed. May perform special projects on cell based immunoassays and instrument problem solving.
- Cell based immunoassay testing of in-process, development, stability, and final product samples and cell maintenance
- Performance of testing in accordance with standard operation procedures.
- Perform job function in accordance with the Agenus Quality Policy and Manual, as appropriate.
- Cell based immunoassays including but not limited to CD-71 and ELISA test methods.
- Cell line maintenance including media preparation, monitoring of cell growth and counting and cell splitting.
- May perform QC testing including Bradford assay, ELISAs, and bioburden, and others, as necessary.
- Support the execution of approved protocols for the validation of instruments and test methods.
- Revision and development of standard operating procedures, as needed.
- General laboratory support, including but not limited to sample receipt, inventory control, reagent preparation and equipment and instrument maintenance.
- Monitoring of temperature controlled units using building monitoring system.
- Peer training and data review
Specific skills relevant to the job:
- Individual must be flexible, work well in a team environment and possess developed organizational skills.
- Prior knowledge of JMP software and sterile tissue culture technique preferred.
- Experience with laboratory software including SoftMax Pro.
- Proficient in MS Office software, including Word and Excel.
- Prior knowledge of cGMPs.
- Method, equipment, and software validation experience, preferred.
- Requires B.S (or equivalent degree) in a scientific discipline or equivalent experience
- Senior positions require BS/MS or equivalent with 5+ years GMP laboratory environment experience.
Sr Research Associate (863)
Seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Associate to join a group of researchers evaluating novel therapies in the field of cancer immunotherapy. The candidate will explore mechanism of action, combinatorial therapeutic strategies, and elucidate biomarkers to support the identification of companion diagnostics that are predictive of therapeutic response. The successful candidate will work closely with discovery scientists to advance research stage programs into early clinical development, providing both scientific and technical expertise.
The position requires a minimum of 8 years of hands-on relevant experience with a track record of success as evidenced by a strong publication record and/or sustained contributions in the biopharmaceutical industry. The candidate should have expertise on a wide range of cellular and biochemical assays, including cell isolation and culture, molecular biology, flow cytometry, cellular immunology assays and some familiarity with in vivo models of immune disease or oncology. Excellent communication skills to present results at intra- and inter-departmental meetings are expected. Experience in multi-dimensional flow cyotmetric analysis is desirable. Qualified candidates should be adept at independently designing, executing and interpreting experiments.
Minimum MS degree in immunology, oncology, biology or related field and a PhD is strongly preferred.
Senior Staff Accountant (837)
- Responsible for various month end closing processes – closing Oracle modules, account recons, journal entries, accruals, various analyses
- Reconcile Oracle Projects module to the GL monthly
- Responsible for Fixed Assets – tracking assets and depreciation in FAS, maintaining the annual Fixed Asset Binder as well as performing the annual Fixed Asset inventory
- Assist with the preparation of consolidated financial statements
- Work with the Senior Finance Manager (SFM) to complete the monthly Management reporting package
- Prepare various schedules for the 10K and 10Q as needed
- Prepare audit/review schedules and answer inquiries from KPMG as needed
- Prepare annual tax information for E&Y
- Assist in yearly budget process
- Assist in updating SOX narratives on a quarterly basis
- Act as 2nd reviewer for employee expense reports to ensure that all event approvals and receipts are available and that expenses comply with the Agenus travel policy
- Test and document any new Oracle processes in the Oracle staging environment before migration into Oracle production
- Complete and maintain Finance Department policies and procedures manual
- Responsible for all census reporting
- Work with Department members to streamline and find efficiencies in the month end process as well as other areas of accounting
- Answer finance related inquiries from both internal and external sources
- Cross train with Staff Accountant and SFM to maintain Department coverage
- Act as go to person for Finance in the SFMs absence
- Other projects as required
- 5+ years of strong general ledger/month end close experience
- Strong Excel Skills; Oracle and FAS best software experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- In-depth knowledge of accounting policies, internal controls and processes, manufacturing experience a plus.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to join the Cancer Immunology (T cell Biology) group at Agenus, Lexington, MA. The successful candidate will have a strong background in immunology, molecular immunology and/or oncology research, as evidenced by previous graduate work and co-authorship on peer reviewed publications. He/She will work as part of a dynamic and collaborative global research team to identify and develop novel antibody-based cancer immunotherapies. The successful candidate is expected to have proficiency in a range of immunological techniques including; multi-parameter flow cytometry, primary immune cell cultures and functional assay development; which is complemented by their experience in general molecular/biochemical methodologies. He/she is expected to design, plan and execute experiments both independently and as part of multidisciplinary team of researchers. The successful candidate will have the ability to interpret results, troubleshoot technical hurdles and propose solutions to the team. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required for this position, and he/she is expected to provide clear/concise data summaries in a variety of project team forums. He/she will be also expected to contribute to the preparation of technical documents (example: SOP/ROP), project report summaries, laboratory protocols and other compliance documents.
We are seeking an individual who is enthusiastic, self-motivated and has exceptional problem solving and communication skills. A BS/MS degree in biochemistry, molecular biology or related cancer immunology field is required; a MS degree is highly preferred. A minimum of 2-3 yrs experience with primary immune cell assays, general molecular/biochemical techniques and flow cytometry is required for this position. Evidence of an understanding in the principles and techniques employed to characterize antibody-based cancer therapies is highly preferred. He/She should enjoy working independently on project tasks, as well as on more collaborative experiments. Attention to detail, and the ability to maintain clear and accurate research documentation are required, as well as experience with Microsoft Office (and/or other analysis software packages)
A BS/MS degree in biochemistry, molecular biology or related cancer immunology field is required; a MS degree is highly preferred.